KSSB welcomes ALL students and families regardless of their braille reading/writing skills to join us. The 2023 in-person braille events will include both a competitive Braille Challenge and a noncompetitive Braille Celebration event.
Braille Challenge (competitive) on February 17 & March 4, 2023 (click to expand)
- This is the competitive braille event.
- Our Regional Braille Challenge events will be held in two locations on February 17 (Kansas City, Kansas) & March 4 (Maize, Kansas). Please register for one regional location by checking the correct box on the registration form.
If you have not registered for the Braille Challenge, click here to register!
New registrations must be submitted by December 20, 2022 with parent/guardian signature.
Contests/materials will be in UEB braille format.
Please upload the registration forms directly to the Google form.
- Here is a link to sample contests.
- Either a parent or TSVI can register a participant.
The Braille Institute requires a parent signature on the registration form for participants to be eligible for national competition.
TSVIs, if your student is below grade level in braille reading, but would still like to participate in the competitive event at a lower grade level, please be sure to mark the appropriate category on the registration form. Ex: If a student is in 5th grade, but taking the 1st grade test, mark the Apprentice box on form.
The Kansas Regional Braille Challenge coordinator will submit all tests to the Braille Institute in California. Participants eligible for the in-person national competition (June 2023) will be notified by the Braille Institute when the finalists are announced (around May 1, 2023).
More information about the Braille Institute and the Braille Challenge can be found here.
Winter Wonderland Braille Celebration (non-competitive) on February 17 & March 4, 2023 (click to expand)
- This is the noncompetitive event. Our Regional Braille Challenge events will be held in two locations on February 17 (Kansas City, Kansas) & March 4 (Maize, Kansas). Please register for one regional location by checking the correct box on the registration form.
- Registration for this event is here.
Activities planned for 2023 include:
- Charts, Graphs & Graphics
- Maker Space/STEM Activity
- Culinary Arts/Braille Recipes
- O&M Activities (Trivia, Maps, Wayfinding, Scavenger Hunt)
- Music/Listening Skills
SPONSORS - WE THANK YOU!
We warmly and gratefully thank our sponsors!
Seedlings Braille Books for Children
National Braille Press
KC Blind All-Stars
Envision, Inc. – Wichita, KS
Maize South Middle School Maize, KS
Kansas Lions Sight Foundation
Bank of Labor
Alphapointe – Kansas City, MO
If you have any questions related to registration or would like to make a donation or volunteer for this unique Signature Event please contact: Aundrayah Shermer, Director of Field Services at email@example.com new email or 913-305-3016.