As a result of the CoVID19 Stay at Home Order, the KSSB Sponsored Family Forum is canceled.
We hope to schedule a Family Forum event for the 2020-2021 school year.
It’s Time for a New Adventure!
KSSB gathered a group of amazing speakers who will share, from their personal experience, how to change perceptions and increase expectations! Participants in this first-ever family conference will learn how to build confident and independent children, increase employment skills, create routines that enhance communication and set the stage for our children to thrive.
To Participate in this unique opportunity – continue reading to learn about registration, dates, times and location.
Image Description: Several hands stacked one on top of the other.
- Keynote Speaker Kristin Smedley – Author of – Thriving Blind: Stories of Real People Succeeding Without Sight
- Anthony Blades – Incorporating Tactile Object Calendar Systems into Daily Routines
- Madeline Bowen – Benefits of Working Healthy Program
- KSSB Transition Students and Teachers: Developing Entrepreneurship through Student-led “KSSB Enterprises.”
- Amy Gaumer Erickson: Developing a Confident and Independent Child
WHEN AND WHERE?
- WHEN: April 25, 2020 – 9:30-3:15
- COST: FREE & Lunch is provided. No Childcare is available. All children remain in the care of the parent/guardian.
- WHERE: Memorial Union, Emporia State University – 1200 Commercial St, Emporia, Kansas.
- DIRECTIONS: View the Emporia State University Campus Map OR SEE MAP BELOW
SAVE YOUR SPOT – REGISTER TODAY – HOW?
Deadline is April 1, 2020
- 9:00 Check-In
- 9:30: Keynote Speaker: Kristin Smedley
- 11:00: Break Out Sessions 1a and 1b
- 12:15: Lunch and Vendor & Community Services Fair
- 1:45: Break out Session 2a and 2b.
- 3:00: Wrap-Up
Meet or Learn about Members of our Community
- American Council of the Blind (ACB) – Kansas Chapter
- Alphapointe – Kansas City
- Center for Independent Living
- Envision, Inc – Wichita
- Families Together
- Kansas Deafblind Project
- Kansas Talking Books
- KSSB Transition Program
- KU Radio Reader Service
- National Federation of the Blind (NFB) – Kansas Chapter
- Working Healthy Program
Note: the Feature image on top of the page contains a cloud created out of words. The list of words include: Believe, Braille, Brother, Cane, Challenges, Change, Child, Collaboration, Confidence, Create, Dad, Dance, Developing, Dream, Eagle, Employment, Entrepreneur, Expectation, Explore, Family, Fun, Give, Grandma, Grandpa, Happiness, Hope, Hugs, Independence, Inspire, Kind, KSSB, Laughter, Learn, Love, Mom, Partnership, Perceptions, Respect, Routines, Self-confidence, Shine, Sister, Support, Technology, Thriving, Together, Transition, Trust
MAP to Emporia State University!
If you are traveling and would like to reserve your own lodging – a small number of rooms are set aside for this event at a discounted rate. Contact the Candlewood Suites Emporia, Kansas, as soon as possible.
Candlewood Suites 2602 Candlewood Drive Emporia, Kansas 66801. Phone: 1-602-343-7756
KSSB Endorsement Statement
“Sponsorship of presenters/workshops by KSSB does not imply endorsement of a particular philosophy, product, or procedure. The educational material and techniques presented at this meeting reflect the views of the presenters. They have been made available by KSSB “as is” for educational and informational purposes only and not as professional advice for specific cases or circumstances. The material and techniques discussed in these presentations reflect the best practices at the time of their development. They should be used with the clear understanding that continued new knowledge or recommendations could emerge.”
KSSB Photograph/Video Statement
“Photographs and/or video will be taken at this event. By taking part in this event you grant the event organizers full rights to use the images resulting from the photography/video filming, and any reproductions or adaptations of the images for printed and online publicity, social media, and press releases. If you do not wish to be photographed please inform an event organizer.”